If you or a family member is in a automobile accident, you need to take five important steps to protect yourself:
1. Call the police if you are able. It is very important you file an accident report, even if you think there is little or no damage. Not only is this required by law but it could be used as an important piece of evidence later on.
2. Get immediate medical attention. Do not decline medical care. Many people try to “tough out” an injury after an accident. This is a mistake. Your health and safety are most important after an accident. Many injuries do not appear until hours or days after the accident, or get progressively over time. You should be thoroughly checked out after an accident.
3. Notify your insurance company. Do not skip this step as it could impact the outcome of your case. Your insurance company will conduct an investigation that could assist in your claim against other parties, and is necessary for you to recover under your insurance policy.
4. Find Witnesses and Take Photos
The police report will identify many witnesses and investigation officers sometimes take photographs of the accident scene. Additional evidence is often needed. Try to obtain any witness information that is not in the accident report, and determine if there are any nearby stores that may have video surveillance cameras. Take as many photographs of the accident scene as possible from different angles and perspectives, including skid marks, or lack thereof. If you are not able to take this step, ask a friend or family member to do so.
5. Call an expert accident attorney in St. Louis before talking to other parties, including insurance companies. The involved parties and/or their insurance companies will want to talk with you shortly after the accident. Before talking to them, call an experienced auto accident injury attorney. The insurance company will try to get information from you to help them defend against your claim. You should have the help of an attorney before this conversation.
We are that attorney to call. We help people who have been injured in St. Louis automobile accidents. We offer a free consultation so that you may discuss your concerns with an experienced attorney. Contact us online or call our St. Louis office at 314-862-6865 to schedule your free initial consultation. When you meet with us, ask about:
- Evening and weekend appointments
- Home and hospital visits
- No attorneys fees unless you collect